Vegetable Paella is a delicious, meat-free, gluten-free meal! With quinoa and tempeh it packs a protein punch! Quinoa is an excellent alternative to rice in this dish, as it provides many nutrients and it tastes delicious too!
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 package organic tempeh (I use 5 grain by Soy Boy), steam, then chop into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables (green peas, carrots, green beans), thawed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (or turmeric if you don't have it)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne peper (optional)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large paella pan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add steamed tempeh, season with sea salt & pepper and cook until lightly brown on both sides.
- Add garlic, mushrooms & onion to the pan, add all seasonings, stir and cook 2 min.
- Stir in bag of mixed vegetables, then tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Add Quinoa and broth and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Season with more sea salt and black pepper if needed. Serve & enjoy!
* You can add any vegetables that you like! Yellow squash, zucchini and asparagus go very well in this dish!
Try these other delicious Quinoa Recipes!