Tempeh Veggie Quesadillas
These tempeh veggie quesadillas are delicious! This is a dairy-free, healthy quesadilla recipe. I use refried beans and avocado to give them a creamy texture inside and to hold them together....no cheese needed!
- 1 package burrito-size wraps (I use Ezekiel Sprouted whole grain wraps)
- 1 package organic tempeh
- 1 can refried black beans
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 red, yellow, & green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 10-12 pitted black olives, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 package organic spicy taco seasoning
- Steam tempeh in a pan with a little water. Cover. Then, crumble the tempeh (you can use a blender on very low setting to do this). Saute crumbled tempeh in a teaspoon of coconut oil over medium-low heat to lightly brown. Mix the taco seasoning packet with 1/2 cup water and add it to the tempeh and stir. Simmer on very low so the tempeh doesn't burn.
- Wash peppers thoroughly. Chop peppers, green onion, avocado and olives. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Add olive oil, lime juice, and cilantro. Mix well.
- Lightly grease another large skillet with coconut oil on medium-low heat.
- Put one tablespoon of refried black beans on a wrap. Spread evenly. Add 2 tablespoons of cooked tempeh and 2 tablespoons of veggie mix to the wrap. Cover with a lid until filling is warm and wrap is lightly browned; about 3 min.
- Fold over one half of the warp to meet the other side and press together with a spatula to flatten. Flip once to ensure both sides of quesadilla are equally browned and filling is warm. Careful not to burn it!
- Place the quesadilla on a plate. Let cool for 1 min. Then, cut into thirds. Serve with salsa and guacamole.
Lightly saute crumbled tempeh in taco seasoning. Simmer on low.
These veggie quesadillas are delicious served with salsa and guacamole!