Portobello Pesto Panini
This healthy panini recipe is mouthwatering delicious! This is a dairy-free vegetable panini recipe,with fresh avocado and roasted vegetables. I usually use leftover pesto from the night before, so it is quick and easy to put together!
You could add non-dairy cheese, like Daiya Mozzarella if you would like. But, I find the creamy avocado holds the panini together just fine. Avocado is a healthy fat and contains nutrients, unlike saturated fat in cheese. This portobello panini recipe is simple and delicious! You could modify the vegetables if you would like. Other options might include, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, artichokes, etc.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 1 avocado
- A couple handfuls of fresh arugula (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper
- Earth Balance Spread
- Ezekiel Bread (or other whole grain bread)
- about 1/4 cup Brazil Nut Pesto
- Clean and slice red pepper, onion, mushroom. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Bake at '325 for about 15 min.
- Warm up the panini press (or you can use a skillet if you do not have one). Spread each slice of bread with Earth Balance and place on the press or skillet.
- Add about 1 tbsp. of pesto to each slice of bread. Spread evenly.
- Add 1/4 of an avocado to each slice. Mask with fork and even out.
- Remove vegetables from oven. Place a combination of peppers, onions, and mushrooms on one half.
- Top with arugula. Put the other slice on top. Pull down the panini press and lightly brown one side. Then, flip and lightly brown the other side.
Slice in half and enjoy!
This makes 2-3 portobello pesto paninis. Double the recipe if serving more people.
Try These Other Pesto Recipes:
Pesto Pasta and Peas
Pesto Vegetable Wrap