Natural Supplements for Fibromyalgia means you can treat fibromyalgia naturally.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I provide this information based on my own experiences and from extensive research and reading about treating fibromyalgia naturally. I do not advise anyone to stop taking prescription drugs if you are currently on them. Please see your doctor before taking any natural supplement or before you consider modifying your current prescriptions.
For years, I took several prescription drugs just so I could make it through the day and tolerate the physical pain I had throughout my body.
About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a chronic musculoskeletal disorder that is characterized by widespread pain. I had very low energy, had difficulty sleeping, and I was getting colds and other persistent illnesses regularly. I found myself exhausted, in constant pain with little energy to spare for work or relationships.
I felt hopeless and as a result I resorted to prescription drugs. After several years of gripping side effects and little relief, I decided to take a more holistic approach to healing.
An illness can be a beautiful thing. It lets us know that we have physical or emotional needs that aren’t being met.
I started to learn everything I could about the human body and about holistic health practices. I’ve been on a journey, seeking a healthy, balanced life for several years. On my quest to find natural cures for fibromyalgia, I have read and studied extensive research in the areas of healthy eating, natural healing, and mind-body connection.
I realized that the body has a naturally ability to heal itself. Free from fibromyalgia, including ALL prescription drugs, I now feel happier, healthier and more vibrant than I did 10 years ago! Through a combination of healthy eating, yoga, Reiki, and a spiritual practice, I have found the ingredients for a happy, healthy life.
In addition to these practices, I also take several supplements that have alleviated the pain associated with fibromyalgia, helped improve my sleep, and revived my energy throughout the day!
Initially, my cabinet was filled with dozens of natural supplements. I bought every "so-called" natural supplement that was supposed to help with symptoms of fibromyalgia. Through trial and error, I've learned that my body did not need all of those supplements! I now have my supplement regimen narrowed down to mainly 5, with the exception of several others as needed.
Here are the Top 5 Supplements that have had the greatest impact on my health:
Please look for the best quality supplements you can find.
1. Magnesium: The numerous magnesium health benefits include the treatment of migraines, insomnia, and symptoms of depression. It also supports healthy bones and muscles. I found that magnesium supplement helped ease my muscle pain. There are numerous magnesium supplements on the market. There's simply no such thing as a 100% magnesium supplement. There are different types, so choose carefully. I take magnesium Oxide, as it is comprised of 60% magnesium.
2. Probiotics: Probiotic supplements assist in cleansing the bowel and support healthy digestion. Some people with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue tend to have irritable syndrome (IBS). This can help with that! It is said that good health begins in the gut! I take them daily. I like PB8 brand because they do not require refrigeration like some do, which is important when I travel! However, there are many great brands on the market today. Look for a high quality brand.
3. Multivitamin: A good quality multivitamin will support your energy and metabolism. This will help to ensure that your body is getting all of the nutrients it needs. I use Vitamin Code Raw One for Women because it provides manganese in addition to other essential vitamins women need. They also make this for men.
4. B-Complex- A B-Complex helps release energy from foods, regulate hormones, aid the immune system, help with depression and relieve stress. B vitamins, especially B 12, are essential to take when you reduce or eliminate your consumption of meat.
5. Melatonin- Melatonin is actually a hormone in the body. It produces a number of health benefits. It’s a powerful antioxidant and fights free radicals. Melatonin may even have a role in slowing the aging of your brain! In addition to helping you fall asleep and bestowing a feeling of overall comfort and well being, melatonin has proven to have an impressive array of anti-cancer benefits.
I take Kal brand time-released melatonin. It doesn't "knock you out" like other sleeping pills, but it helps to rebalance your natural wake-sleep cycles. So, don't give up on it! It takes time to build up and reset your hormones. You will reap the benefits.
You may also want consider taking a D vitamin, especially during the winter months when we have less exposure to the sun. Most multivitamins contain this, but I don’t find that it’s enough. I take at least 2,500 mg a day.
If you also have trouble sleeping or have a lot of stress, I would recommend a Gaba and/or 5-HTP supplement. These have done wonders to improve my quality of sleep and to help me relax!
Of course, Meditonin™ contains Gaba, 5-HTP and B vitamins all in one! Meditonin™ is an herbal, natural, and safe meditation supplement and aid. Meditonin’s herbs, vitamins, and amino acids work with the same neurotransmitters in your brain that are released during periods of quiet relaxation.Click here to view more details
* Caution: It’s important that you invest in good quality supplements from reputable brands. Most pharmacies & grocery stores DO NOT carry high quality vitamins and supplements. They are typically made of synthetic ingredients. Without a good delivery system a supplement is useless. Many supplements will pass through the body with the active ingredients never being released. Look for: Synergistic scientifically engineered blend and/or enteric coating, which is a substance that protects the active ingredients. I also prefer vegetable capsules.
Each person is different. What worked well for me, may not necessarily work for you. So, please inform yourself and choose supplements wisely.