Cheesy Rice and Broccoli
Cheesy Rice and Broccoli is a delicious dairy-free casserole with a twist! This is a ooey, gooey "cheesy" rice recipe! I put a twist on this recipe by adding onions and black beans.
This dairy-free cheese sauce tastes just like regular cheese sauce, but it's even better and much healthier! This is a healthy rice and broccoli casserole recipe. You can make it a meal or a side dish...it usually ends up being a complete meal for me because I just can't stop eating it!
- 2 cups organic brown rice (dry)
- 4 cups water
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 package frozen organic broccoli florets
- Green onions, garnish
- 2 cups dairy-free cheese sauce
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- Add two cups of rice to 4 cups boiling water. Cover & reduce to a simmer. Prepare according to package (usually 30-40 min.)
- Meanwhile, prepare dairy-free cheese sauce and set aside.
- Chop yellow onion. Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions to skillet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Saute until translucent.
- Blanch frozen broccoli in hot water until thawed. (Do not over cook). Drain and set aside.
- Rinse black beans and set aside.
- Add cooked rice, broccoli, and beans to the skillet. Pour in the "cheese sauce". Toss to combine. Let simmer over medium-low heat until warmed through. (Option 2- combine all ingredients in a large casserole dish and bake in the oven for about 20 min. at 350').
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
Optional- You could substitute asparagus for the broccoli...it's very tasty! And I also add sauteed mushrooms sometimes! Yummy!
I added a little extra red pepper flakes to the cheese sauce to kick-it up a notch! You could leave out the red pepper and cayenne if you don't like spice.
You might also like this Mexican Quinoa Casserole!