Sweet Potato Curry
* This recipe is very easy to make and contains very few ingredients. You could substitute the peas for any vegetable of your choice, such as broccoli or carrots. You could also substitute the brown rice for quinoa for a protein-packed twist!
Ingredients: Use organic ingredients whenever possible!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cubed
- 1 package frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot (optional)
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- (sea salt to taste)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Slowly add the rice, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low heat for about 40 min.
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and heat for about 3 min. on medium-low heat. Add the sweet potatoes and all seasonings. Stir and cook for 3 more min.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the arrowroot to thicken the broth. Cover and lower heat to medium low. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 min.
- Add the peas. Stir and cook for about 5 more min.
- Add parsley and sea salt to taste. Serve over rice.
This recipe was adapted from The get healthy, go vegan cookbook by Dr. Neal Barnard, MD.
Step 5- Enjoy!