5 Stress-Free Holiday Tips
Stay Calm, Don't Stress!
I know, I know. This is easier said than done! With the hustle and bustle of the holidays it is easy to lose our cool, feel overwhelmed and anxious. Let’s try to make this year different! Let go of what you can’t control. YES, there will be long lines! YES, there will be traffic! YES, there will be rude people! You can’t control that, but you can control how you respond to it, which will have a ripple effect on the people around you.
Why?- Stress can have many negative effects on your health even if you don’t realize it! It can effect your body, mood, and behavior. It can cause headaches, muscle pain, fatigue, and sleep problems just to name a few. It can also lead to heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity and diabetes. It’s time to chill out, everyone!
This is something that I’ve really had to (and continue to) work on. It is easy to get stressed out by work, family, finances, etc., which is only exasperated during the holidays!
Here are 5 ways you can reduce stress naturally this holiday season:
- Breathe- Sounds simple, right? It is! Take a time-out to breath when you are feeling stressed. Take 5-15 minutes to sit or lay down. Make sure you are relaxed in your face and body. Concentrate on the flow of your breath. Notice the uneven pattern. Then, focus on the length of your in-breath and out-breath. Breathe in your nose and out through your mouth evenly. When you even out and calm your breath, you calm your mind! This is especially helpful when you are stuck in traffic!
- Meditate- If this conjures up images of monks at a Buddhist Temple for you, I understand. It was very uncomfortable for me at first. But, very much like the breathing exercise above, meditation can be a short, simple activity to help you relieve stress. You don’t need special equipment or a long amount of time. I love this website with FREE guided mediations. I plug in my headphones and listen to one at night. This is a simple meditation technique to use. Click here for a stress relief meditation.
- Yoga- If you have been practicing yoga for a while, you understand how therapeutic it is for the mind, body, and spirit. It’s a work out for the mind as well as for the body. It is has really changed my life. I am even planning on going Thanksgiving morning. It helps me handle stressful situations. If you have never been, or are fearful that you will have to contort your body into a pretzel, have no fear! Take a beginner or gentle stretch class. I took beginner classes for a while! You will grow and get stronger in more ways than one. I highly recommend it!
Visit YogaBorn for a gentle, therapeutic yoga class!
- Aromatherapy- This is one of the oldest relaxation therapies practiced today. You can use essential oils in massage or in a bath. I take a bath with Epsom salts and 5-10 drops of lavender oil nearly every night. It helps me unwind, relax, and get a better night’s sleep. Other relaxing oils to use are: chamomile, ylang ylang, neroli and clary sage.
This Relaxing Lavender Spray Will help You Relieve Stress Instantly!
- Reiki- I realize that many people may not be familiar with this technique. Along with yoga, I credit Reiki for helping me become more calm and balanced. When you are out of balance, you are more likely to get sick and stressed. This gentle, yet powerful form of healing, helps remove any blockages and restore balance naturally. Find a practitioner near you. Give it a try!
Click here to read about the health benefits of Reiki
Take a Relaxing Bath with Epsom Salt and Essential Oil...
So, I hope these 5 tips help you have a stress-free holiday season this year! Remember, just let go of what you can't control. Embrace the inevitable hustle and bustle. Be calm. Be happy. AND be kind to everyone around you!
Click here for tips to make holiday recipes healthier!
Sign up below to get a FREE copy of my 21 Day Lifestyle Change Ebook with printable checklists to keep you on track!