Best Black Bean Burritos
The best black bean burrito recipe is right here! This is my go-to meal almost every single Monday! It is so easy to make and takes only 15-20 min.! I use raw veggies, refried beans, and tempeh for added protein. Try them tonight!
Ingredients: Use organic ingredients whenever possible!
- 1 package burrito-size wraps (whole wheat, whole grain, or brown rice; not with white flour!)
- 1 package organic tempeh (optional)
- 1 can refried black beans
- 1 can black beans, rinsed (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 red, yellow, & green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 10-12 pitted black olives, chopped
- 1/2 package Daiya Cheddar Cheese (or other non-dairy cheese)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 package organic spicy taco seasoning
- Lightly saute crumbled tempeh in a teaspoon of coconut oil over medium-low heat. Mix the taco seasoning packet with 1/2 cup water and add it to tempeh and stir. Simmer on very low so the tempeh doesn't burn.
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Wash peppers thoroughly. Chop peppers, onion, avocado and olives. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with black beans. Add olive oil, lemon juice, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Put one tablespoon of refried black beans on a wrap. Spread evenly. Place wrap in an un-greased skillet on low heat. Sprinkle with cheese to melt.
- Add 2 tablespoons of tempeh and 2 tablespoons of veggie mix to the wrap. Cover with a lid until filling is warm and cheese is melted; about 3-5 min. Careful not overcook the wrap!
- Place the wrap on a plate. Let cool for a few seconds. Then, fold in sides, wrap, and enjoy! Repeat process for the number of burritos you are making.
- Optional: Top with guacamole if not using diced avocado!Equally delicious!
* This may seem like a lot of steps, but this recipe is super easy and quick to make! The longest part is chopping the veggies and cooking the tempeh. I highly recommend you try tempeh for a meat-free, high-protien alternative! When mixed with taco seasoning, it is so delicious! The whole-grain or veggie versions are my favorite. You can find it at most grocery stores.
*You can also add any other veggies that you like. I've tried several variations and this is my favorite so far! Sometimes I add sweet corn or sweet yellow peppers. You could also use sweet potatoes instead of the tempeh. Just replace them for the tempeh in step #1!
You may also have some of the veggie filling leftover. I add this to mixed greens for a taco salad to take to lunch the next day. That's why I like using raw veggies. Plus, you keep all of the vital enzymes…which are very good for you!
You might also like these other recipes!
Avocado & Black Bean Dip
Sweet Potato Curry
Sweet Potato Fries